First opened in 1891 Markthalle IX was one of originally 14 covered markets opened at the end of the 19th century to replace the rather unhygienic open markets in use until then.
Times haven’t always been economically kind to the market, a protected building of architectural interest, and its present incarnation is the result of an initiative to keep the market as a main neighbourhood focus point.
Markthalle IX now offers an interesting range of specialist food events including a weekly fresh food, street food, and breakfast markets.
Click to view in lightbox.
© Andrew James Kirkwood – 2018